Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Campaign Cash

Mayor Mark Boughton has raised a total of 50,835 dollars in his quest to win a fourth term. His Democratic challenger, Helena Abrantes, has raised a total of 13,625 dollars. Boughton has $12,232 cash on hand, where as Abrantes has $8,506. You can read the article here from the News-Times.

Abrantes says that she isn't letting money get in the way of her campaign.

"I'm doing very well. You have to remember, I'm not getting the money from the developers. I'm getting money from the core people - people who have businesses in Danbury and people who live in the city themselves. No, I don't have as much money as him, but I'm doing very well."

Boughton claimed that he has a strong base of support which is why his numbers are higher.

"I accept donations from businesses and businesspeople and from people who agree with the way I run the city. It's always been that way. The only promise I make upon receiving a donation is good government."

With less than two weeks left, I wonder how much of a role money will really play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look where Mark got his money from.
Will it ever stop?