Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Cappiello Comments on Iraq War

Our State Senator, and Congressional candidate, David Cappiello (R-24), was on FOX 61's "Beyond The Headlines" the other day. He talked about why he has chosen to run for Congress, and his views on a few issues. The one comment that has stuck out in my head was Cappiello's comment on the Iraq War. We have never really heard his view on the war, so this was a good opportunity to find out how he feels. The following is a transcript of what he said:

Reporter Shelly Sindland: What do you think of President Bush, and the way he has handled the War in Iraq? Do you think that he has been not flexible, has not been willing to listen to the other side?

Sen. David Cappiello: I may be with disagreement with most Republicans on this issue, understand I believe what President Bush said when he was running for President the first time, that we are not nation builders, and I think we have gotten into this war for the wrong reasons, and I think the war has been managed horribly ever since we've been in the war. So, I am kind of on the outs with my party with this issue, but I think it was a mistake from day one, and I think the President is wrong.

Reporter Shelly Sindland: What would you do as a freshman Congressman in Washington?

Sen. David Cappiello: I would vote to have the troops come home, but I wouldn't do it by putting billions of dollars of pork into that bill.

What Cappiello was talking about was that the Iraq bill had parts to it that would attract people from the south to vote for it because it would help give their states money.

Now, Sen. Cappiello did not sound like most of the hardcore Republicans that have been vocal on the Iraq War. As many know, Congressman Murphy is against the war. Cappiello's position puts him really in the same area that Murphy is in, which will be very interesting to see how it could play out. Don't forget to take the latest poll!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

he should just stop now.

Anonymous said...

At least he has the guts to admit it, and not hide behind party loyalty. In other words, he speaks his mind and not what his party expects him to say. Good for him!

Anonymous said...

It nice to see Cappiello speak for himself and not be afraid to say what he feels.....that's the type of independence I want in a Congressman.

Anonymous said...

I don't want a congressman that is going to abolish income tax to drain the country like he wanted to ban property tax to drain our municipalities. Just ask Mayor Mark

Anonymous said...

he is pandering...